[syslinux] pxelinux fails to load miniroot completly

detlef oertel d.oertel at uib.de
Tue Feb 26 08:15:26 PST 2008

Geert Stappers schrieb:
> Op 25-02-2008 om 14:21 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
>> I'll try to reproduce this in simulation and see if I can figure out
>> what's going on.
>
> For all those who also what to reproduce it
> [1]
>
>   wget http://download.uib.de/debian/dists/etch/opsi3.2/binary-i386/opsi-linux-bootimage_20080207-1_all.deb
>   mkdir opsi
>   cd opsi
>   ar x ../opsi-linux-bootimage_20080207-1_all.deb
>   tar xzf data.tar.gz
>
> and
>
>   ls tftpboot/linux
>
> will show you the place of the kernel and the initrd
>

> Cheers
> Geert Stappers
>
> [1] The test data files are provided in .deb package,
>     where that is a nice idea, it is (security wise) not a good idea.
>     "unpacking" with `dpkg -i` means also executing postinstall
>     scripts[2] as root. unpacking with `dpkg -x` avoids the exec part,
>     but one must still have the 'dpkg' program installed[3].
>     The program 'ar' is part of "binutils", easily available to all
>     platforms.
>     Providing files in a .tar.gz is preferred ...
> [2] I didn't see a postinst in the above .deb
> [3] Default on Debian and Debian devariates, not on other GNU/Linux distros

I agree that it is unusual to to provide test files in a .deb file.
So this deb-File wasn't build to provide you the test files,
but as a part of the open source Desktop managment system 'opsi' (http://opsi.org).
I pointed to this .deb because it was not the finest,
but the fastest way to get the test files.
Sorry for any problems.

This bootimage works with pxelinux at
a lot of opsi users with together some thousand clients
with out any problem.
With this one exception: Dell Optiplex 740.

The tests of the isolinux versions are delayed because
somebody crashed my remote access to the opsi user which is affected.
I'm trying to fix this as soon as possible.

regards
detlef oertel

--
detlef oertel

Tel. 06131 / 27561-10
Fax  06131 / 27561-22

eMail: d.oertel at uib.de

uib umwelt informatik büro gmbh

Firmensitz / Anschrift:
Bonifaziusplatz 1B
55118 Mainz

internet: www.uib.de

Geschäftsführer: dr. detlef oertel
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mainz HRB 6942