[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.70-pre1: development release

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Feb 27 13:55:44 PST 2008

Hi all,

I have pushed out a prerelease of one of the development branches (I
currently have three development branches open), 3.70-pre1.

This release revamps a whole lot of internal APIs to support reading
files without knowing their length ahead of time.  This is necessary in
order to support network protocols which do not advertise the transfer size.

The immediate user-visible change is that TFTP no longer requires the
server to support the "tsize" option; this has the interesting
consequence that it allows the use of a proxying TFTP server (e.g. a
TFTP->HTTP proxy) without the proxy having to buffer the entire file.

The ultimate plan, however, is to move HTTP support into pxelinux
itself.  There are a couple of potential paths for implementing this;
the current plan is to do a joint development project with the gPXE
development team, to obtain a single product with all the features of
gPXE and PXELINUX combined.  If that doesn't work out, however, I do
have a backup plan.