[syslinux] No localboot on HP Proliant with Smart Array and menu.c32

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Feb 29 17:12:15 PST 2008

Ulrich Wiedemann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I got my hands on a DL360 G3 for testing today, I may provide some
> further information on this.
>
> The relevant change seems to be
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/syslinux/syslinux.git;a=commit;h=507719c32bfe1b5db5f18ff9bde0cee91b2e83f9.
>

> With the attached diff, which apparently reverts the above change, I was
> able to build a pxelinux.0 based on v3.61, which works also on my test
> machine. A self compiled stock v3.61 hangs when it is supposed to
> localboot from menu.c32. I experience the very same behavior also with
> my own com32 module.
>
> Looks like HP stores some information in memory, which gets overwritten
> by pxelinux/the com32 module?
>
> I'd be very happy to do further tests to support fixing this issue for
> an upcoming syslinux release.

I should like to ask what version of the PXE firmware you're running on
that, and if it's not the latest, if you could try the latest version; I
suggest using the "HP firmware maintenance CD":

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3288138&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316558&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4006#2995

They released a new firmware CD as late as Feb 11, 2008.

It looks like it's a Broadcom chip in that box.