[syslinux] syslinux 3.61 keyboard not responding issue

Thompson, Roland G roland.thompson at eds.com
Mon Feb 25 13:33:42 PST 2008

Has anyone experienced the following issue and / or direct me to a
solution.

I install syslinux v3.61 onto my USB boot device.  When I boot that USB
device the keyboard does not respond at the syslinux menu.  So I either
have to power cycle the system to reboot or wait until the default menu
action (boot into UBCD4Win) occurs before I can use the keyboard.

I am using syslinux-3.61 on a WinXP system to build a bootable USB key
and a bootable USB HDD.  On both USB devices I had UBCD4Win installed
and working.  That is, before I install syslinux (using w32
syslinux.exe) I can boot from the USB device into UBCD4Win.  More
importantly, the keyboard does respond during this initial boot process
- i.e. I can do a C-A-D to interrupt the boot and/or UBCD4Win load
process.  Once I install syslinux the keyboard longer works - at the
syslinux or even until UBCD4Win is almost completely loaded.

Thanks, Ro