[syslinux] tftp client patch

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jan 1 14:43:29 PST 2008

Ilia K. wrote:
> Hi, All!
>
> I'm looking for tftp-hpa package maintainer. I've implemented verbose
> error code reporting (aka verbose exit status) for tftp client, so any
> program which runs it can determine whether it succeeded or failed and
> if failed, why. It's especially useful for writing scripts which use
> tftp. Current version almost always reports success (exit status 0)
> and practically not usable in scripts.
> I would be glad if my patch would be integrated into the mainstream
> code. I've wrote the patch for version 0.42, but if the maintainer is
> interested, I can port it to the latest version.

Please, that would be useful.  The best is if you can submit patches in
the style of git-compatible patches (see
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/SubmittingPatches;hb=HEAD)
against the git tree or latest version.

> Also, digging the code I've found several places with unreachable code
> and wrong treatment of function return codes. It looks harmless, but
> may lead to additional bugs in the future. So I'd like to discuss them
> too.

I'm not surprised; the underlying BSD code is awful.

The client is not really my focus, obviously, so I'm more than happy
when someone is willing to step up and help.