[syslinux] Problem with memdisk and DOS on USB

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jan 11 10:28:37 PST 2008

Jérôme Poulin wrote:
> Sorry for the delayed response, I though delay were longuer than that
> and went to sleep, thanks for the fast response.
> I just tried with syslinux with the same results, here is a listing
> now that I have two computers to proceed:
>
> After some confusion with forgetting to use 8.3 names, I finally typed:
> syslinux: /memdisk safeint initrd=/dos622.img
>
> It started...
> Ramdisk at 0x3f5000000
> command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/memdisk safeint initrd=/dos622.img
> Disk is floppy 0, 1440 K, C/H/S = 80/2/18, EDD off
> Using safe INT 15h access to high memory
> Total size needed = 2459 bytes, allocating 3K
> Old dos memory at 0x9f000 (map saus 0x9f000), loading at 0x9e400
> 1588: 0xffff 15E801: 0x3c00 0x3e50
> INT 13 08: Success, count = 2, BPT = 9f00:0614
> old: int13 = 9f00000a  int15 = 9f00037c
> new: int13 = 9e40000a  int15 = 9e40037c
>
> Non-System disk or disk error
> Replace and press any key when ready

This means that it successfully loaded the boot sector, but that the
bootsector then failed to load IO.SYS.  This means something is going
wrong later in the boot process.

For a hard disk image I would have guessed geometry issues, but for a
floppy image the only geometry used should be the one encoded in the
filesystem image.  This is rather puzzling.