[syslinux] MENU / SHA1 passwords not working.

Simon Daniels S.Daniels at uel.ac.uk
Wed Jan 9 07:20:02 PST 2008

Hi. I'm having a problem with hashing passwords for use in the menu.

If I specify plain passwords in my config it works file:

Example:

MENU MASTER PASSWD 1234567890

MENU PASSWD test123

However if I hash a password using the sha1pass script the resulting hashes
don't work.

MENU MASTER PASSWD $4$9qj4qv8g$HQ6Jl6TVrpign78XeofX2OLmfJo$

MENU PASSWD test123 $4$B4LW6NPr$xYYfSoakhfLpWE7+l8zU0MdAlIA$

When prompted for the password I enter that which I added as an arg to the
script but It throws

Me back (same as with an invalid pass).

This is how I run the script:

simon1 at eb280-simon:~/syslinux-3.52$ sha1pass 1234567890

$4$9qj4qv8g$HQ6Jl6TVrpign78XeofX2OLmfJo$

simon1 at eb280-simon:~/syslinux-3.52$ sha1pass test123

$4$B4LW6NPr$xYYfSoakhfLpWE7+l8zU0MdAlIA$

I notice I get a different hash every time when using the same arg. Is this
correct?

I'm running slackware v11. Initially when running sha1pass i was getting an
error:

Can't locate Digest/SHA1.pm in @INC

I ran cpan install Digest::SHA1 to install the missing lib then all was ok.

I can't get the MD5pass script to run as it's missing a lib but running cpan
install Digest::MD5 reports that my MD5 is up to date?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Simon.