[syslinux] Anaconda menu's are different?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Tue Jan 15 11:29:08 PST 2008

--On Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:00:35 AM -0600 Brandon Kruse
<admteamkruz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I figured you guys have good anaconda experience and I was wondering
> if you could help me diagnose this.

Possibly, though there is a mailing list for that.  See the "Mailing Lists"
section at <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda>.  I'd suggest starting
with kickstart-list.

> Whenever I use pxelinux to boot a vmlinuz and initrd image from a cd,
> the installation menu's look different, or are in a different order
> than on the cd.
>
> I used the ones from isolinux/*
>
> And the kickstart file just has the URL to the cd contents. (fc6
> specifically, but I have seen this on all redhat installs)

Well, you haven't described exactly what the difference is, but I expect
what you're seeing is that when you boot via PXELINUX, you're getting asked
to configure the network right away, whereas when you boot from CD that
comes much later.  That's because when you're fetching a kickstart file and
install media from the network, anaconda needs to know about network
parameters much sooner (more precisely, loader needs to know about them
before anaconda proper is started, whereas when you use a CD it normally
doesn't need to know at all).

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+ at cmu.edu>