[syslinux] syslinux does not interpret backslash

Casual Programmer casualprogrammer at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 01:20:03 PST 2008

Thank you, hpa,

I was using the openSuSE supplied rpm which is at
3.31-76. Considering
your and rest of lists feedback, I decided to make it
myself as well as
switch to EXTLINUX. It seems that with EXTLINUX I can
boot some hitherto
unusable sticks with 2048 byte sectors.

Thanks for providing this useful project.

Casual

On Fr, 2008-01-18 at 11:05 -0500, H. Peter Anvin
wrote:
> Casual Programmer wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > while I managed to install syslinux and have it
boot,
> > there seems to be
> > a problem with interpreting filenames. It looks
for
> > files in /boot but
> > at the same time does not realize that the "/" is
not
> > part of the
> > filename. It prompts me with boot: then every
filename
> > I type is set to
> > 2 characters "." 3 characters i.e vmlinuz would
appear
> > as vm.lin. To me
> > it looks like syslinux uses /boot/ as part of the
> > filename here ( 6
> > characters )
> >
> > Not sure whether I am missing something here, or
> > whether this migh be a
> > subtle bug.
> >

> I tried it with the current version of syslinux
(3.61-pre2), and I