[syslinux] PXE Linux and EFI....or Intel MACs

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Mon Jan 21 17:34:59 PST 2008

Jacob Alifrangis wrote:
 > Apple has a BCM (BIOS Compatibility Module) in its Firmware, so you can
 > boot a regular X86 Operating system just fine from CD or HDD, what you
 > cannot do however, is boot from LAN in the BCM.
 >
 > Partly because there is no PXE Undi Code in the BCM and partly because
 > Etherboot (Rom-O-Matic.net) does not support the Marvell Yukon Chipsets.
 >
 > The problem is that Netrestore and Netboot for that matter need to be
 > running on a MAC or OSX Server for that matter. I'm not going to buy a
 > mac server OS (Don't want to manage it) and I'm not going to buy a mini
 > for the sake of doing netrestore.
 >
 > Netrestore is free and open source, so maybe I can pick out the good
 > bits and hack something up to get pxelinux working.

Interesting, I will need to check out the BCM

The later part of your statement isn't 'true'. And that is part of what
I was trying to ask earlier, but wasn't clear on.

I can netboot my ppc/intel machines fine, from FreeBSD, and tftp32. I
can at least boot the NetRestore image just fine. I also had some
success with other loaders, but I didn't get to complete that work.

If you would like, I can try to digg up some of the links I found / my
working config, if that will help.

-A