[syslinux] Booting

Barry Fawthrop barry at isscp.com
Thu Jan 24 11:10:14 PST 2008

Hi All

My first experience with syslinux I have created a debian live bootable
environment.
Which creates a fat16 format USB-HDD and then uses syslinux to boot up
with (Provided the hardware allows you to boot from USB).

When I plug the USB Stick into say a windows machine it mounts the USB
drive and you can see the linux kernel files syslinux and other files

Question: Is there a way to click a file or exe, which will cause the
machine to reboot pointing to the USB stick (which is already inserted)
without:
   (a) effecting or modifing the MBR
   (b) or the HDD?

Some hardware
  (1) Will boot from USB no problems
  (2) Some you have to change the BIOS order
  (3) Others don't know what USB booting is  (TO overcome this)

In sequence in mind:
Running Windows,
Insert the USB stick,
Change to F: (or whatever USB stick is)
Click a reboot file
reboot the machine into the USB stick
Work in the USB environment
shutdown, removed the USB stick
boot back into Windows (totally uneffected)

How is this possible? (I'm willing to write my own reboot.exe if it does
not exist already)

Thank You

Barry