[syslinux] Conditional kernel selection based on CPUID/DMI info

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jan 29 14:54:53 PST 2008

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> So far, I've avoided any com32 modules.  Previous comboot modules I've done
> have been farily trivial and com32 seemed more effort than it was worth.
> That's clearly not the case here, and doing it in C would be quite a bit
> more maintainable, but it wouldn't have met my need -- the original purpose
> of the bioschk module was to detect a buggy BIOS that made user interaction
> from a com32 module impossible.  What actually happened was that I deployed
> new menus using menu.c32 instead of PXE's built-in menu capability, and our
> staff started complaining that they could no longer select anything from
> the menu!
>
> The bug is not in SYSLINUX, BTW.  I'm pretty sure it's been discussed here
> before, and Dell has acknowledged it.  Unfortunately, that was over a year
> ago, and the platform in question is officially EOL, so there's not much
> hope of a fix from them.  Their own BIOS updater run under MEMDISK has the
> same problem; I had to put together a version that would boot and do the
> update without asking for confirmation.

I recently fixed an interaction between Dell BIOSes and SYSLINUX (it was
a syslinux bug which only bit when COM32 modules where invoked.)  The
only other Dell bug that I know about off the top of my head only bit
with isolinux.

I looked for the discussion you described, couldn't find it offhand.  I
found a problem with OptiPlex GX620, said to be fixed in BIOS version
A12 (the bug was present only in version A11, supposedly), is this the one?