[syslinux] SYSLINUX GRUB and booting logical partitions on USB drive

greenfinch greenfinch at web.de
Wed Jul 2 09:19:02 PDT 2008

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> greenfinch wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for the hint. I've tried it just before with SYSLINUX 3.70
>> -> unfortunately same result:
>>
>>  >/ hd0_5 -> message 'Requested logical partition not found' -> not
>> o.k. because logical partition exists!
>>
>> Meanwhile I have done the same tests using an USB harddisk, to avoid
>> problems using an USB stick -> same bad results, booting from logical
>> partition not possible
>> In addition I've tested the filesystem ext3 for all my partitions on
>> the USB stick and used extlinux (version 3.70) -> same bad results,
>> booting from logical partition not possible
>>
>> If there is the time, maybe someone can try it the same I did to
>> confirm or disagree my test results.
>>

> Not okay indeed.  Did you remember to update the .c32 modules to match
> your syslinux version?
>
> If you did, if you are able to provide an image of the USB stick I
> would like to debug this problem.
>
>     -hpa

Hello hpa,

you were right!
During all the tests I've forgotten to update the file chain.c32.
I've just copied file for every try instead of using the version 3.70.
Sorry!

One problem less.
- Now I can install my linux related distros, live-cds in the logical
partitions.
- In addition I have 3 primary partitions for windows.
- I think I cannot use the first primary partition for windows or dos
based installation because in this partitions I have
  the SYSLINUX files (syslinux loader, cfg-file, chain.c32....)

However I will get a problem booting dos/windos from the primary
partition 3, because in that case I have
to hide the primary partition 2. I think this is not possible with SYSLINUX.

I need GRUB for this hide/unhide mechanism.
However, with GRUB I cannot boot logical partitions (at the moment).

Meanwhile (30-June-2008) there was a patch released, which should fix
the problem
of booting logical partitions.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2008-06/msg00404.html
Yet I don't know how to integrate this patch and compile GRUB, but I
will find a possibility.

greenfinch