[syslinux] Patch for GRUB Legacy to chainload SYSLINUX from logical partitions

greenfinch greenfinch at web.de
Sun Jul 6 04:15:36 PDT 2008

Fulvio Scapin wrote:
> Inspired from a similar patch posted on grub-devel for Grub2 I
> immersed myself into the code of Grub Legacy and came up with this
> absurdedly simple patch to allow syslinux or other bootloaders
> residing in logical partition to be chainloaded from GRUB Legacy (0.9x).
> Hoping it to be of help, regards
> Fulvio Scapin

Very good job Fulvio!
I've just tried it and it works. I've patched GRUB LEGACY 0.97.

Meanwhile I thought about a workaround:

- Install GRUB in the MBR of the USB drive.
- Start with GRUB the primary partitions of the USB stick (incl.
hide/unhide, etc.)
- If I want to boot logical partitions from my USB drive, I chainload
SYSLINUX (3.70),
   which is installed in the boot sector of the first primary partition
of the USB stick.
   With SYSLINUX I can boot any logical partition from there.

However this is not necessary anylonger with your patch!

Thank you very much for your help Fulvio!

greenfinch