[syslinux] boot disk failure

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Wed Jul 9 10:59:15 PDT 2008

Pascal Legrand wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i've got a problem with boot pxe on pc, all my pc works fine except in a room
> where all the same pc doesnt works :
> my configuration (dhcp tftp etc...) works fine also
>
> here is a part of my tftpboot directory
>
> ghost/
> memdisk
> menu.c32
> pxelinux.0
> pxelinux.cfg/
>
> ./ghost:
> ghost288.IMA
> ghost_geii_101.IMA
> ghost_MM.IMA
> ghost_MM.IMA.old
>
> ./pxelinux.cfg:
> default
>
> here is a part of my default file
>
> DEFAULT menu.c32
>
> TIMEOUT 300
> ALLOWOPTIONS 0
> PROMPT 0
>
> MENU TITLE MENU
>
> LABEL BootNormal
>          MENU LABEL Boot local
>          MENU DEFAULT
>          LOCALBOOT 0
>
> LABEL ghost
>          MENU LABEL Ghost
>          kernel memdisk
>          append initrd=ghost/ghost288.IMA
>
> LABEL ghost_GEII
>          MENU LABEL Ghost GEII-101
>          kernel memdisk
>          append initrd=ghost/ghost_geii_101.IMA
>
> LABEL ghost_multimedia
>          MENU LABEL Ghost Multi-Media
>          kernel memdisk
>          append initrd=ghost/ghost_MM.IMA
>

> when the pc boot, the dhcp request works fine, the "download" of ghost288.ima,
> works fine also.
> when it try to launch the os i've got a message :

> memdisk 3.70
> .
> Boot disk failure

You may try 3.71-pre4 which has some patches? workarounds? in memdisk
for systems with out a floppy drive, but may also fix issues with
machines with floppies. Please make sure to upgrade pxelinux.0 / memdisk
to the same version.

Otherwise please provide more information about the system, and the
debugging lines spit out by memdisk.

HTH

-Andrew