[syslinux] reduce boot image size

Andrew andrew at shopcusa.com
Sun Jul 13 13:42:07 PDT 2008

CHEN Xu wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have got a boot image working, thanks to this mailing list. Now, my
> question is, how can I reduce the size of the boot image?
>
> Basically, I created the boot image by copying files from an iso
> image, which must contains lots of files that I don't need. Is there a
> neat way so that I can only copy the files that are needed?
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>
> -Simon

Still talking about BSD? Check out mfsbsd, it's a stripped down image
that weighs in around 30mb IIRC. It has a simple build system so you can
modify it for your purposes. It makes a great recovery tool, and I
believe it is capable of doing ftp/net installs.

you can gzip your image to help with the transfer speed. memdisk
supports gzip natively, just pass it a .gz file and it knows what to do.

Anything else, and I am guessing you would be better served by looking
to the relevant OS support, as it will be specific to each.

HTH

-Andrew