[syslinux] [BUG] boot failure since syslinux-3.00

Sean Young sean at mess.org
Tue Jul 15 11:10:53 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 02:38:43PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Sean Young wrote:
> > It can be similated in bochs using the bios which is available here:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.embeddedarm.com/ts-x86-sbc/old-downloads/binaries/5500BIOS.ZIP
> >
> > How should I proceed?
>
> I have no idea.  The BIOS you pointed me to unambiguously claims EDD is
> supported, it clearly also has code to use EDD, and yet it fails when
> one attempts to use it.

I've found the issue:

When the syslinux bootsector calls extended read (int 13, ah=42), the sector
number is given in absolute mode. According to Ralph Brown's list this is
not correct for non-LBA devices.

In the BIOS settings I found a option for turning LBA on, which apparently
is not the default for this BIOS. After this everything works fine!

Thanks for helping out.

Sean