[syslinux] Three questions/feature requests

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jul 16 15:27:57 PDT 2008

Joel Ebel wrote:
> I have three questions.  If these are not currently possible, consider
> it a feature request:
>
> 1.  Is it possible to create label aliases, such that one label will
> simply use the configuration of another, without having to completely
> copy the configuration.  It would also be great if these aliases could
> cross INCLUDE boundaries, such that a label can call a label defined in
> an included file.
 >
> 2.  Is there a way, outside of the menu system, that all available
> labels could be listed for a user?
>
> 3.  Is it possible to nest APPENDs such that many common labels could
> have a template APPEND, and then add custom appends for each label.  It
> would be especially cool if these could be nested on multiple levels,
> such that a label append could be appended to a sub-group append, which
> could be appended to a global append, etc.  At least it would be nice to
> have a separate global append per included file.  Right now if a file
> with labels included, and a second file with a global append is included
> second, the append that should be global in the second file is used only
> as an append for the last label in the previous file, overriding any
> label defined in the first included file.  This doesn't seem like ideal
> behavior.

1 and 3 currently requires preprocessing.

1 probably could be done, I really don't expect 3 to happen, because of
all the corner cases that would entail.

2 is definitely a feature request; it seems like it should be doable,
although I would have to ask other users on the list if it would be
*desirable* to have that option.