[syslinux] LOCALBOOT

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jul 16 18:39:33 PDT 2008

Chris Williams wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to get the LOCALBOOT option to work with syslinux. I have a
> bootable USB that boots using syslinux and when ever I select the localboot
> label it says that it could not find the kernel image. This is my syslinux
> set up
>
> LABEL start
>    localboot 0x80
>
> and when I type "start" at the boot prompt this is what I get back
> "Could not find kernel image: start"
>
> Is this possible to do when booting from a USB? And  if so what am I doing
> wrong?

Two thoughts:

- You might have an old syslinux version which didn't support localboot
for syslinux/extlinux (that is a relatively new feature.)  When I just
tried it with Syslinux 3.71-pre14, it worked fine.

- If you do "localboot -1", it should make your BIOS boot the next
device.  This is much more likely to do the right thing than
"localboot 0x80" when dealing with USB devices, since the BIOS should
undo its drive number shuffling that way.