[syslinux] ISOLinux, menu.c32 and PXE handoff?

Bishop bishopolis+syslinux at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 14:20:30 PDT 2008

Hey Folks,

Sorry if this has been asked before;  hard to get a usable search on
'isolinux OR syslinux pxe-boot' with just the info I need!

I work in a large organization, and the group which manages the network may
not be the guys managing the hosts.  I have a network and dhcp server, and
pxelinux is working very well on that net.  I want to make my net-install
resources available to machines on another network, one which is already
served by a DHCPd I cannot change nor supplement with another system on that
network -- union rules are involved, sadly.

My current plan involves a boot CD which can hand off to
pxeboot.me.org::/pxelinux.0
.  Does isolinux (or syslinux if that's more applicable) allow a
host::boot.0 kind of reference, and can a syslinux CD booting on the machine
provide the required glue to get this machine access to the resources on the
pxe server?  If so, can someone provide me an example of how it'd be set up
in the .cfg ?

In a nearly-related question, does menu.c32 allow machine::pxelinux.0
redirection in the sense that pxelinux.0 does?  I can't get it go, and not
for lack of trying!

Thanks guys, for (pxe|iso|sys)linux and for any help you can provide.
 - bish