[syslinux] SYSLINUX Anatomy

Stefan Bucur stefanb at zytor.com
Mon Jul 21 00:30:56 PDT 2008

Greetings,

As a Google Summer of Code student for the SYSLINUX project, I had the
chance to learn many interesting things from hpa regarding the
internals of SYSLINUX. So besides my main task of implementing ELF
modules loading & linking, I decided to put down in the wiki all the
information I found concerning SYSLINUX development.

In this regard, I have created a special category on the wiki,
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Category:SYSLINUX_Internals,
and I started to write a couple of pages mainly about SYSLINUX memory
management and boot process. I have also drawn a couple of diagrams to
assist with the explanations.

I encourage anyone to read/review those pages, signal any errors, and
- why not - write new interesting stuff about SYSLINUX. This way more
people will have an easier access to the underlyings of SYSLINUX and
could become potential developers.

Stefan Bucur

PS: I also think it would be great if hpa could host a LXR database
with relevant snapshots of the SYSLINUX source tree; it could be
referenced by the wiki and make things easier to understand from an
outsider point of view.