[syslinux] Syslinux vmlinuz name limitation?

Bogdan Radulescu bogdan_radulescu99 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 20 23:41:12 PDT 2008

Hello,

I'm using syslinux-3.70 and apparently it doesn't allow me to use different names for vmlinuz and initrd.gz.

If I use a name like vmlinuz-nx08 in the config file syslinux seem to be reloading everytime I try to boot. If I use vmlinuz and initrd-nx08.gz syslinux complains that it can't find the file even though it's there. I also tested this from the boot prompt and the menu and the same seems to be happening.

When I use the standard vmlinuz and initrd.gz names everything works just fine.

Syslinux seems to be going forward nicely and I really enjoy when I see it gets significant improvements quite often.

I don't know if anyone else experienced the problems I have but I thought that you should know about it. If you need additional info I'd be glad to supply it.

One more thing. I'm installing syslinux from linux on a USB drive and as a MBR I use mbr.bin

Best regards,
Bogdan