[syslinux] Syslinux vmlinuz name limitation?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jul 21 05:57:13 PDT 2008

Loïc Grenié wrote:

>      It's possible that the names are mangled (the names change
> because they don't fit in the 8+3 format of
>   DOS drives).

No, Syslinux 3.70+ should be able to use long filenames on VFAT.

However, the name "initrd-nx08.gz" will have a fake shortname like
"INITRD~1.GZ" as opposed to "initrd.gz" which can be matched either with
a long- or shortname.

It's entirely possible he's running into a bug in the VFAT code, which
is relatively new, after all.

Bogdan: any way you could post an image of your USB disk anywhere I can
download it?