[syslinux] Other video modes besides 640x480

Loïc Grenié loic.grenie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 07:41:45 PDT 2008

     I've written the code to switch to the largest available video mode.
  As is, it is probably not very useful (because the font is probably
  barely legible on a 150dpi display and because I've not modified the
  background loading code).

     Would it be interesting to develop it further or would it be considered
  overbloat ?

     If yes, I have the problem of choosing the "right" video mode:
  should I provide a kind of "switch (video_mode)" option ? Something
  along the line:

MENU VIDEO 1920 1200
[anything here executed if width>= 1920 and height >= 1200]
MENU VIDEO 1280 1024
[anything here executed if width>= 1280 and height >= 1024
(but either width < 1920 or height < 1200)]
MENU VIDEO x y
[anything here executed if width>= x and height >= y
(but either x < 1280 or height < 1200)]
MENU VIDEO END
[everything executed from now on]

  which would allow to change the background pixmap and/or
  the font if the mode is better than the default 640x480 ? I think
  this method is not very good, but I don't know how to do
  better.

     In any case, there probably needs not to set the video mode
  during the initialisation (which would be limited to probing) and
  set the video mode only at the first background image loading
  or character drawing.

      Thanks,

            Loïc Grenié