[syslinux] Other video modes besides 640x480

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jul 22 15:16:34 PDT 2008

Loïc Grenié wrote:

>     I suppose most BIOSes won't remove from the list of available modes
>   those that the monitor can't display. Correct ?

Of course they don't.  In fact, for certain older monitors, it might not
even know.

At the very least you have to use VESA 3 EDID, and if it doesn't report
anything, fall back to a safe resolution.  Note that the fact that the
monitor supports EDID does *not* mean that the BIOS supports it -- this
is the real danger here.

>> I would like to see a strong use case for this before putting it in, but
>> I'm not ruling it out, either.
>
>     For this kind of problem, the strongest I can think of is: "it's
>   much nicer that way" ! I experimented with the "crocusses.png" of
>   krita and they are cool (needed a slight cut to work with tinyjpeg).

I think as long as this is enabled explicitly, *and* the fixed-sized
buffers are adjusted to be dynamic, I don't see a problem with it
either, though, and I can imagine it being useful for internationalization.