[syslinux] OFF TOPIC: Chainloading CD-ROM boot after ISOLINUX + MEMDISK.

Harald_Jensas at Dell.com Harald_Jensas at Dell.com
Fri Jul 25 22:57:09 PDT 2008

On Behalf
> Of H. Peter Anvin
> Sent: 26 July 2008 04:49
> To: For discussion of SYSLINUX and tftp-hpa
> Subject: Re: [syslinux] OFF TOPIC: Chainloading CD-ROM boot after
ISOLINUX +
> MEMDISK.
>
> Hm.
>
> If I understand correctly you:
>
> - Are physically booting from CD-ROM (hence using ISOLINUX);

Correct.

> - The data you want to boot is also on the CD-ROM (your Windows
>    install);

Correct.
This will not be the same media that contain ISOLUNUX.
I want the system to stop after installing MEMDISK and then I swap to
Windows install CD and manually tell system to continue by booting the
Windows CD.

> - However, you need a MEMDISK installed (but not booted from.)

Correct.

> Is that a correct summary?

Yes.

> It seems that the new chain.c32 stuff to load NTLDR directly might
have
> been helpful, except for the slight complication that chainloading it
> from MEMDISK is currently not supported.
>
> Let me know if I understood the situation right, and I'll think about
it
> for a bit.
>
> 	-hpa

This is a step-by-step of what I have working on systems with PATA
optical drives:

1. ISOLINUX - Install MEMDISK Nbr 1.
2. MEMDISK Nbr 1 image is bootable floppy with SYSLINUX.
3. SYSLINUX - Installes MEMDISK Nbr 2.
4. MEMDISK Nbr 2 image is bootable floppy with SYSLINUX.
5. SYLINUX - Load SBM. (Smart Boot Manager)
6. Manually swap CD to Windows installer.
7. SBM boot CD-ROM.

What I need to do is to replace step 5 trough 7 with something that will
work with SATA optical drives as well.

--
Harald