[syslinux] Relocating COM32 modules to higher mem

Loginov Alexander aloginov at asmpt.com
Tue Jul 29 00:22:02 PDT 2008

>> Actually, what I meant is to make COM32 modules relocatable, so they
>> could run from any address. For example, they could be loaded to the
top
>> of available physical memory. This approach could be helpful for
>> embedded systems. In fact, Syslinux provides quite a lot of features
>> useful for embedded system designers, for example, it has OS-less
>> C-library, menu, monitor, etc. If COM32 module was loaded to the top
>> memory, then its functionality could be preserved for longer time (it
>> will not be erased immediately by the loaded embedded application)
>>
>> How difficult would it be to implement such feature?
>>

> Stefan Bucur is working on it.
>
> However, it doesn't change the fact that the Linux kernel itself is
> loaded at 0x100000.
>
>	-hpa

Right, I understand that Linux is loaded to 0x100000. The point is that
I have an impression that in Stefan's implementation the COM32 module
(that provides the support for relocatable ELF modules) will be still
loaded to 0x101000. Does it mean that if the area of memory 0x100000 to
0x10ffff is erased by some application, then those loaded ELF modules
will be not be able to use COM32 library services?

Alex