[syslinux] chainboot Windows on second drive

Aeron Draxar aeron at draxar.com
Mon Jun 2 01:03:55 PDT 2008

On May 31, 2008, at 5:13 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> forum at draxar.com wrote:
>>
>> I can boot Fedora and the rescue Windows system with extlinux but I
>> can't boot
>> my regular Windows system on raid0.
>> Raid0 is a 'fakeraid' (ich9r) but the problem should not be here.
>> With grub, I have to swap drives to chainboot Windows using map
>> commands.
>> I can't find such command for extlinux and I guess this is the
>> problem. If I try
>> to chainboot Windows XP, it will start my rescue Windows system
>> instead.
>>

> I haven't implemented one, because this is only the second request
> I've
> gotten for this in about a decade.  "Swapping disks" is cantakerous
> and
> means leaving a BIOS shim in place -- not particularly difficult
> stuff,
> but it also hasn't been a priority.

Yes, I can understand isolinux and maybe pxelinux won't have much use
of a swapping function. I hope you'll find some time one day to
implement it because I can't install extlinux on my raid array
(because of raid and stability) :(
The only solution I've found is, from extlinux, chainloading a linux
grub that immediately swaps and chainloads Windows…

> It's rather sad that Windows still hasn't learned to just use the boot
> drive as passed to it.  Microsoft seem allergic to doing things
> sanely.

Yeah, it's very sad. And very annoying to have their job done by
yourself because they never done things like all other people in the
Word.
I sympathize, really. :)
Let's hope Microsoft will wake up on this point. (it seems that they
are /trying/ to do things better with Vista and IE7, but it's far
still a pain for everyone)

Thanks a lot for your support and your quick answer.