[syslinux] Interest in NTFS

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jun 2 11:15:22 PDT 2008

Andreas Kotes wrote:

> I think VFAT long filenames are more worthwhile ...

I think this is probably the right sequence of priorities.

The biggest issue with VFAT long file names -- and I suspect NTFS has
the same thing -- is that they use Unicode (UTF-16) filenames, and
case-insensitive to boot, which are hard to handle correctly in a pre-OS
environment.

What I think is pretty clear is that non-ASCII characters will have to
be a "best effort", and almost certainly won't play nice with the
limited internationalization support already in Syslinux.  However, it's
probably not really a big deal.