[syslinux] Please, read and reply it to me.

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Tue Jun 3 13:33:43 PDT 2008

Op 03-06-2008 om 15:12 schreef Seung Kim:
> How do  you do?
> I am a deaf and I am working at Gallaudet University as IT technician. For
> troubleshooting computer problem, I fixed over 4000 computers with different
> CDs such as Windows XP SP2, Dell 32bit Diagnostic Tools, Windows Memory
> Tester, Acronis True Image, ERD 2005, and others. Everyday, I brought many
> different CDs to different building for services. Really, I wanted to
> develop Syslinux with different software CDs to make an integrated CD. Then
> it is very easy for me to bring only a CD or DVD anywhere.
> I have successfully added Acronis True Image to UBCD as an option and tested
> it. It worked great. However, when I tried to add Dell 32-bit diagnostics,
> windows memory tester, Windows XP with SP2 (using campuswide license).
> However, I wanted to develop Syslinux with our licensed software. So, I read
> the Syslinux document from http://syslinux.zytor.com/menu.php web site. But
> I didn't understand what I should start for Syslinux. Just I installed
> Knoppix 5.3 on my desktop computer. But I needed the guide book step-by-step
> or documents with screenshots about Syslinux how to build everything from
> scratch and what softwares are needed to make this possible.
> Do I have to do it all from within Linux environment? Can it be done in
> Windows to build a bootable customized UBCD?
> I know you are very busy in your business. I hope you help me how to build
> Syslinux with different softwares in spite of your business. I found that
> Acronis True Image is developed with your isolinux. Wow~~ How?????
> Any assistance or direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

The poster of the above text might not be aware
of http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

That text contains paragrafs like:

| Be explicit about your question
|
| Open-ended questions tend to be perceived as open-ended time sinks.
| Those people most likely to be able to give you a useful answer are also
| the busiest people (if only because they take on the most work
| themselves). People like that are allergic to open-ended time sinks,
| thus they tend to be allergic to open-ended questions.

| Don't flag your question as "Urgent", even if it is for you
|
| That's your problem, not ours. Claiming urgency is very likely to be
| counter-productive: most hackers will simply delete such messages as
| rude and selfish attempts to elicit immediate and special attention.

| Prune pointless queries
|
| Resist the temptation to close your request for help with
| semantically-null questions like "Can anyone help me?" or
| "Is there an answer?" First: if you've written your problem
| description halfway competently, such tacked-on questions are at best
| superfluous. Second: because they are superfluous, hackers find them
| annoying -- and are likely to return logically impeccable but
| dismissive answers like "Yes, you can be helped" and "No,
| there is no help for you.â

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offense.  Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit