[syslinux] what I should start for Syslinux.

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Tue Jun 3 14:03:52 PDT 2008

Op 03-06-2008 om 15:12 schreef Seung Kim:
> I didn't understand what I should start for Syslinux.

To me it boils down to "What is a bootloader?"

To learn more about bootloaders start using them,
play with bootloaders, examine bootloaders, study bootloaders.

Where the original poster mentioned 4000 computers,
I recommend network bootloaders.

The network version of syslinux is pxelinux.

A working example of pxelinux is in the debian-installer,
http://www.nl.debian.org/distrib/netinst#netboot

remove the file debian-installer/i386/boot-screens/splash.rle
after you have extracted netboot.tar.gz,
that way you will see pxelinux in action
(otherwise it is hidden behind the splash screen)

Back to
> what I should start for Syslinux.

Syslinux is started for you, at least pxelinux is started for you [1]

My advice for choosing netboot is also based on the fact that the OP
wants to do some development. With networkboot there is no
developerstime wasted in creating and burning CD-ROMS.

About the developmentplans of the Original Poster:
FWIW: I think it is mostly configuration stuff.

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] And there is the tool syslinux that installs syslinux the bootloader