[syslinux] Problems with newlib port

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jun 3 21:49:12 PDT 2008

Loginov Alexander wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have noticed that Peter wanted to port newlib to syslinux project some
> time ago. It seems that the porting was not finished. Peter mentioned
> (http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2004-February/003168.html) that sucj
> job would require a lot of efforts. At the same time newlib is usually
> regarded as a "highly portable C-library". I am wondering what are the
> major difficulties/problems/issues in porting newlib to com32?

Well, I ended up porting klibc instead.  Not because klibc is inherently
better for the job, but simply because I know it better -- I wrote it.

Most of the issues will be the same -- in particular providing a more
Unix-like device model -- so probably a lot of the code I've written for
the klibc port can be reused.