[syslinux] DBAN and vesamenu.c32

Henry Kemp henry.kemp at future-route.com
Thu Jun 5 08:23:08 PDT 2008

I'm integrating DBAN (http://dban.sourceforge.net/) into our PXE boot
menu system (using vesamenu.c32) but it just hangs when I'm using
vesamenu.c32 and confusingly when I revert our menu system to using
vesa.c32 it works ok. I've stripped out any extraneous configuration but
it still seems to have the same problem.

When I use this in pxelinux.cfg it boots into DBAN ok:

  default menu.c32

  LABEL DBAN-1.0.7-i386
        KERNEL images/dban/vmlinuz
        MENU LABEL DBAN-1.0.7-i386
        APPEND init=/rc nuke=dwipe floppy=0,16,cmos root=/dev/ram0
initrd=images/dban/initrd.img

But when I change menu.c32 to vesamenu.c32 and select the DBAN option
from the menu I just get a cursor at the bottom left of the screen and
it hangs there indefinitely...

The system I'm testing it on is a VMWare virtual machine so I don't
think that is necessarily an issue. The tftp server is running on Centos
5.1 thats fully up to date with patches.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Rgds,

Henry