[syslinux] VFAT

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jun 5 17:08:28 PDT 2008

Andreas Kotes wrote:

>> You're talking quite a bit of complexity here.  Just supporting ASCII
>> would be a *lot* easier.  Doing what you propose above requires at least
>> a kilobyte of table space, plus support for loading those.  This is less
>> than what is required to load a font, which is 8K, but it's still
>> substantial.
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of choosing at compile time for the
> time being, and supporting just Latin 1 (known as ISO-8859-15, which
> contains ASCII) for now ...

Doesn't work too well, though, because shortnames will be in cp437, and
that's the default for the PC coming out of reset.  It's a bit of a
messy situation.

Anyhow, I have checked in some experimental code to deal with it, and
started to architecting a matching engine state machine.  All I can say
is: VFAT is ug-lee...