[syslinux] directing output of tftpd to stdout, instead of syslog()

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Jun 7 14:54:36 PDT 2008

Marty Leisner wrote:

> I'm thinking of doing:
>
>   my_syslog(int priority, const char *format, ...)
>   {
>           va_list ap;
>
>           va_start(ap, format);
>
>           if(use_tty == TRUE)
>                   vfprintf(stderr, format, ap);
>           else    vsyslog(priority, format, ap);
>
>           va_end(ap);
>   }
> and building with -Dsyslog=my_syslog
>
> I like the fact when the startup options are incorrect, they're logged...so I need "use_tty" set up before anything
> else.

I just don't know how far back one can assume vfprintf() or *especially*
vsyslog() exists.  tftp-hpa is designed to be "portable to anything
vaguley Unix-like" simply because I've been trying to give people an
alternative to the 1980's-era BSD code that commercial vendors have been
known to still ship.