[syslinux] extlinux: missing text on serial output

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Sun Jun 8 00:39:54 PDT 2008

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:

> Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>>
>> EXTLINUX 3.63 2008-04-10 EBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin
>> Select 'linux' or 'xen'.
>> Automatically booting 'xen' in 10 seconds.
>> boot:
>>
>> Which is perfectly fine, but I'm deprived of the 'say' output when
>> looking at the serial console (lo', EBIOS is also missing!  And a CR
>> after the multiboot copyright string!)
>>
>> EXTLINUX 3.63 2008-04-10  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin
>>

>> boot:
>> COM32 Multiboot loader v0.2.  Copyright (C) 2005-2006 Tim Deegan.
>>                                                                  Kernel: /xen-3.2-1-i386.gz com2=auto,
>>
>> Can somebody confirm that it's a bug?
>
> It's easy enough to see how the EBIOS would be missing - the banner is
> printed on the screen before the config file is written, so it's issued
> separately for the serial console.  The CR from the multiboot module is
> also reasonably easy to explain (it's a C environment, and at some point
> \n -> \r\n).  However, "say" not outputting on the serial console is
> weird and serious.  I will look into it.

Hi Peter,

What's the status of these issues?  Should I test a newer version or
rather shut up and send patches? :)  Another interesting thing (not
sure if I've mentioned already) is that after dismissing the boot:
prompt there is a long delay (order of a minute) before output starts
appearing.  I'll investigate this further, just wondered whether
you'd got an idea.
--
Thanks,
Feri.