[syslinux] 3.70 with "unfinished" gpxelinux.0?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Jun 8 07:18:45 PDT 2008

NOTICE: original subject was '[syslinux] 3.70 without "finished" gpxelinux.0?'

Op 07-06-2008 om 16:41 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm thinking about wrapping up a 3.70 release, even though gpxelinux.0
> is technically not feature-complete.  I'd like people's opinion on it.

Opinion of Geert Stappers about 3.70 and gpxelinux.0:

  I would like to see that the next release of the syslinux bootloader
  family will be shipped with gpxelinux.0 included.

Having HTTP support in "pxelinux" is great.

The thing that me most plesant surprised in gpxelinux.0 was how easy it
was to switch from TFTP to HTTP (infact a true speed-up).
With DHCP option 209, pxelinux.configfile and option 210, pxelinux.pathprefix
I told that 'http://webserver.my.lan/path/boot/gpxelinux.conf' is
the "pxelinux.cfg/default" and didn't need further modification
in "pxelinux.cfg/default". Kernel and initrd were fetched
from 'http://webserver.my.lan/path/boot/'! ( even bootscreen files ("f1.txt")
did go over HTTP  :- )

gpxelinux.0 might technically not feature-complete, but it
contains allready a very nice feature.

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--