[syslinux] memdisk question

Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com
Wed Jun 11 23:55:36 PDT 2008

Hello Anthony,

best practise is to use 1,4 MB bootable floppydisk, read it with WinImage,
change format to 2,8MB, add the additional files with the inject option of
winimage and save it (doesn't matter if compressed or not memdisk can
handle this).

Standard parameter for the bootimage should be something like:

LABEL bootdisk
   MENU LABEL 2.8 MB Bootdisk
   kernel path_from_tftp_root_to_memdisk/memdisk
   append initrd=path_from_tftp_root_to_bootimage/bootimage.imz

Peter Leenders

             "H. Peter Anvin"
             <hpa at zytor.com>
             syslinux-bounces@         For discussion of SYSLINUX and
             zytor.com                 tftp-hpa <syslinux at zytor.com>
                                                                        cc

             11.06.2008 22:19                                      Subject
                                       Re: [syslinux] memdisk  question

             Please respond to
             For discussion of
               SYSLINUX and
                 tftp-hpa
             <syslinux at zytor.c
                    om>

Anthony Hare wrote:

> I am using winimage, building a new image as a 2.88mb floppy.. Adding
> the files and changing the boot sector to win 95/98 (I used this link
> http://www.911cd.net/forums//lofiversion/index.php?t10853.html to get my
> original unicast ghost image to work).

Ah.  Memdisk doesn't like an image that is shorter than the medium it's
supposed to represent.  You want to pad it out with zeroes (or anything
else for that matter) to 2,949,120 bytes.

> Not really sure if I am going about it in the right way so any tips are
> greatly appreciated..
>
> Is there an easier way to build an image that will work with memdisk?

I'm not all that familiar with Windows-based tools, being a Linux person
myself.  I know a lot of people on the mailing list use Winimage,
perhaps someone else can help out?

Unsubscribe or set options at: