[syslinux] some thinkpad data

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Fri Jun 13 02:29:18 PDT 2008

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:

> Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>>> I have a question: if you use an external USB keyboard, does it work
>>> while in Syslinux?  Grub?  Linux proper?  I'm wondering if this is
>>> possibly related to the A20 issue...
>>
>> I tested a Sun USB keyboard.  It works perfectly well in the BIOS, at
>> the Syslinux prompt, in the GRUB menu and also under Linux.  I've got
>> USB legacy support enabled in the BIOS setup.
>
> OK, different problem, then.  Useful to know.

Btw. when I issued sys c: under FreeDOS (after booting the pendrive by
Syslinux under QEMU), it said:

Old boot sector values: sectors/track: 49, heads: 24, hidden: 49
Default and new boot sector values: sectors/track: 63, heads: 64, hidden: 49

Just to mention one more set of fake geometry values, which shouldn't
count, but perhaps do (for DOS, at least).  Fdisk reports the "old" set.

I reinstalled Syslinux, now strings /dev/sda1 | head -1 prints
FRDOS5.1, but QEMU boots Syslinux, so I'm rather confused...
--
Cheers,
Feri.