[syslinux] chainboot Windows on second drive

forum at draxar.com forum at draxar.com
Sat Jun 14 00:33:42 PDT 2008

> Aeron Draxar wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I can understand isolinux and maybe pxelinux won't have much use
> > of a swapping function. I hope you'll find some time one day to
> > implement it because I can't install extlinux on my raid array
> > (because of raid and stability) :(
> > The only solution I've found is, from extlinux, chainloading a linux
> > grub that immediately swaps and chainloads Windows

> I have a first-cut implementation of this and pushed it out as
> syslinux-3.70-pre17.  To use it:
>
> label WinXP
>    menu label ^Windows XP
>    kernel chain.c32
>    append hd1 -swap
>
> I would appreciate it if you could help test it out.
>
> 	-hpa
>
> P.S. LABELs can't contain spaces.

I will test it has soon as I can. For now, I've tried to replace extlinux with
the 3.70-pre17 version but I've lost my partition table. I still don't know if
3.70-pre17 screwed up the partition table or if I did it unfortunatly, or if
the partition table died by it self (disk error). I'm investigating this for
now. Then, I go back to test the swap option.
  Don't worry about my partitions, Acronis Disk Director (free when packaged as
Seagate Tools ;)) can restore them.
  Thanks a lot for having take the time to enable disk swapping! I feel like
this option will make syslinux boot everything that is bootable :)

Draxar