[syslinux] some thinkpad data

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Jun 15 09:54:51 PDT 2008

Ferenc Wagner wrote:
\>> - You may have to use the SYS command in FreeDOS...

> I did, and then it booted FreeDOS.  Then I installed Syslinux, and now
> it boots Syslinux.  Perfect.  But it still has the FRDOS signature in
> the boot sector, according to the command quoted above!  How can it be?

There is some disagreement what the proper thing to do with the
signature is.  One school of thought is that it should follow the boot
sector code, another is that it should follow the superblock, i.e. the
system that partitioned the disk.  The Microsoft recommends leaving this
field as "MSWIN4.1" at all times, which seems to somewhat follow the
latter theory.

Accordingly, I changed Syslinux quite a while ago to the "latter theory"
of operation - it does *not* overwrite the system signature.