[syslinux] extlinux: missing text on serial output

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Sun Jun 15 12:11:54 PDT 2008

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:

> Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>> There's no file named linux on the floppy image, so both syslinux and
>> extlinux complain: "Could not find kernel image: linux".  However,
>> syslinux does this instantly, while extlinux "waits" for a couple of
>> seconds (running under QEMU) before printing this message.  If I
>> enable DEBUG_TRACERS (a wonderful debugging aid, thanks for putting it
>> into place!) extlinux floods my terminal with 288 kB of 'H's before
>> outputting the message.  Those seem to come from cache.inc.  I doubt
>> this would be normal.  What do you think?
>
> Hm... I haven't seen this behaviour with extlinux myself.
>
> 'H' here means HIT, meaning that it's trying to read a sector that is
> already in the cache.

Hi,

I pulled the writestr changes from git (too bad I replied before doing
that), uncommented DEBUG_TRACERS, made, then

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=extlinux.144 bs=1024 count=1440
$ /sbin/mkfs.ext2 extlinux.144
# mount extlinux.144 /mnt -oloop
# ./extlinux -i /mnt
# umount /mnt
$ qemu -fda extlinux.144

This worked all right (could not find kernel image, at once).

# mount /mnt
# echo "say hello" >/mnt/extlinux.conf
# umount /mnt
$ qemu -fda extlinux.144

And this one looped, printing lots of Hs.  Please find the image
attached.