[syslinux] USB-HDD

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 00:13:04 PDT 2008

Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Konstantin Svist <fry.kun at gmail.com> writes:
>

>> According to doc/usbkey.txt, USB-HDD is the best mode -- but there's
>> no mention of how to get that working.
>>

> You have to configure it in your BIOS.  Each one is different, but
> usually you have to enable some USB support (often called "legacy"),
> then enable the USB boot device.  Either you'll have the choice of USB
> floppy, USB CD-ROM, USB ZIP or USB HDD there, or simply find your USB
> device amongst your hard drives.

Actually I meant to ask how to write USB-HDD boot info to the USB stick.
Right now, I use syslinux -s -- and for that to work, I'm forced to use
"Forced FDD" mode of my BIOS.
I have another USB stick that I've made into what I think is USB-HDD
mode -- that one doesn't require the "Forced FDD" option, but it only
runs FreeDOS and was really difficult to set up.. I don't even remember
what I did, just that I had to run FreeDOS under qemu and some other
voodoo :(