[syslinux] PXELinux / gPXE no IP by DHCP

Matthew Steggink matthew.steggink at os3.nl
Fri Jun 20 04:39:29 PDT 2008

Hello everyone

I am experiencing problems with PXELinux/gPXE when netbooting using HTTP.

The problems I encounter:
- When the intel bootROM is sending out a DHCPDISCOVER it might not
recieve an IP address, but the server did send out a OFFER. Capturing
packets reveals the packets have been sent, and the client _should_ have
recieved it.

But when it passes that stage:
- When the gPXE bootROM is sending out a second DHCP DISCOVER, it might
not receive an IP address, but the server did send out an offer. Capturing
packets reveals the packets have been sent, and the client _should_ have
recieved it.

When it passes that stage:
- It cannot find the http://ip/default-image URL , but it is present and
apache is running.
- Sometimes it loads vmlinuz and fails in the middle of it "Boot
failed..." without any apparent reason.

These errors are not very reproducible, the errors appear to show up at
random.
At some times, the clients do boot succesful, and sometimes they fail
randomly in the stages described above. I know 3.70-pre19 is still in
'Testing', but is it a PXELinux/gPXE 'bug' or did I mis some
configuration.

The images should be ok, as they did work for 3.63 and are clients still
boot from them in 3.70-pre19

- Matthew