[syslinux] extlinux: missing text on serial output

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jun 23 17:13:17 PDT 2008

Ferenc Wagner wrote:

>> Compiling with NASM 2.02 and then running my Extlinux+vesamenu.c32 test
>> under Qemu works just fine.  Perhaps you could send me a copy of
>> extlinux.bin from your compile session (or even better, tar up a full
>> build tree)?
>
> I will send you the full build tree tomorrow, this GPRS connection
> isn't up to that.  But I attached extlinux.bin and a disk image
> freezing into reboot.c32.

Okay, I installed Debian Etch under KVM, and was able to reproduce this
problem.  It appears to be a problem with ld 2.17, which is the default
version in Etch; it does not depend on the version of NASM.

There isn't all that much I can do about it, other than use an indirect
call here (see patch.)

I'm slightly hesitant to add this patch to the main code, though, to
support a very old and obviously broken linker.