[syslinux] SYSLINUX GRUB and booting logical partitions on USB drive

greenfinch greenfinch at web.de
Sat Jun 28 06:10:16 PDT 2008

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Last I checked, Grub passed an invalid partition offset in DS:SI when
> chainloading a logical partition.  Syslinux is partition-table-format
> agnostic, and uses the information passed into it.  However, the format
> of DOS partition tables are such that anything that tries to boot a
> logical partition (keep in mind that MS-DOS couldn't boot logical
> partitions at all) has to adjust the partition offset; the stuff that
> comes off the disk is relative to the extended partition that surrounds
> the logical partition, but the chainloaded operating system has no way
> of knowing that.
>
> 	-=hpa

If I understood you right, it means that, in principle, SYSLINUX would
be able to boot on a logical partition on a USB drive.
However Grub does not provide the right information into the right
memory addresses?

Have you ever told the developers of Grub that issue? Maybe they can fix
the problem with not too much effort.
I think you have the knowledge to formulate the issue best.

Do you know see any anlernative to boot linux from a logical partition
on a usb drive without using the kernel / initrd commands from Grub?
Maybe a workaround until its possible with Grub and SYSLINUX.

greenfinch