[syslinux] Used mkdiskimage script on wrong drive!

Muller, SA, Mnr <14908832@sun.ac.za> 14908832 at sun.ac.za
Sun May 11 05:38:21 PDT 2008

I was trying to setup dsl (damn small linux) to boot off a usb drive. I found my BIOS wasn't booting from it when using a USB-HDD mode so I found a page for using SYSLINUX to set it up in USB-ZIP mode (http://syslinux.zytor.com/usbkey.php).

I made a mistake and (doing exactly what the page warned against not doing) used the mkdiskimage command on the wrong drive (a 230Gb NTFS external hard-drive). I typed 'sudo ./mkdiskimage -4 /dev/sdb 243 64 32' instead of typing /dev/sdc (for my 250mb usb drive) and now all my data on my external drive is inaccessable from Linux and Windows.

I haven't performed any other read,write,partition (or format) commands since running the mkdiskimage script.

Is there anyway to undo (or even partially undo) what I've done?