[syslinux] Default PXE boot timeout

Gustavo Guillermo Perez gustavo at compunauta.com
Thu May 15 12:20:59 PDT 2008

El Miércoles, 14 de Mayo de 2008, H. Peter Anvin escribió:
> a s p a s i a wrote:
> >> The timeout to get a file from the server depends on the PXE firmware in
> >> the BIOS or on the network card.
> >
> > yeah i thought ....
> >
> >> It seems kind of complicated, though; you should be able to just do a
> >> localboot from PXELINUX instead of editing dhcpd.conf.
> >
> > hmmm . where in the documentation shows this - so perhaps just
> > changing the /pxelinux.cfg/<mac_addr_default> file to indicate LOCAL
> > BOOT?
> >
> > can u please let me know if I should check the syslinux or pxelinux
> > documtation?
>
> Look for LOCALBOOT in the syslinux documentation.

Recently I've updated my dhcpd server, and I ran in some problems with
timeouts and dhcp NO OFFERS, so checking my dhcp version I've discovered that
old PXE firmwares, from etherboot maybe somes, and other embedded on IBM
machines does not boot, or does not get any file.

I have to roll back to the older binary that work for me.

isc-dhcpd-V3.0.1 [WORKS]

isc-dhcpd-V3.1.0-Gentoo [WORKS ONLY WITH NEWEST M.B.]

May be helps.

--
Gustavo Guillermo Pérez
Compunauta uLinux