[syslinux] Default PXE boot timeout

a s p a s i a aspasia.sf at gmail.com
Thu May 15 13:49:50 PDT 2008

>> Look for LOCALBOOT in the syslinux documentation.
>
> Recently I've updated my dhcpd server, and I ran in some problems with
> timeouts and dhcp NO OFFERS, so checking my dhcp version I've discovered that
> old PXE firmwares, from etherboot maybe somes, and other embedded on IBM
> machines does not boot, or does not get any file.
>
> I have to roll back to the older binary that work for me.
>
> isc-dhcpd-V3.0.1 [WORKS]
>
> isc-dhcpd-V3.1.0-Gentoo [WORKS ONLY WITH NEWEST M.B.]
>
> May be helps.

Thanks for the note.... I finally got it to work with a few caveats:

1.  first of all, LOCALBOOT parameter only works with Pxelinux and
Isolinux, and *not* syslinux.
2.  So what I did to force a local boot (my test host was running
Gentoo on the hard drive) is as follows:

/etc/dhcpd.conf - had the following entry:

host myhost {
        hardware ethernet 00:A0:D1:E7:10:70;
        fixed-address 192.168.17.5;
        filename "pxelinux.0";
        option host-name "myhost";
        }

3.  Its /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/<mac_addr_default_file> contains:

DEFAULT chain.c32
KERNEL LOCALBOOT 0
APPEND hd0 0

My new challenge is that:  the above does not work with my FreeBSD
host (which is the host that needs to be booted off the hard drive

I guess that is off topic, I should post another thread ...

With regards to this note though - it works with the above
configuration for localboot to linux OS.  (would appreciate though if
anyone has any input on what to "append" vis a vis the Freebsd boot
device.

thanks in advance,

aspasia.

> --