[syslinux] [PXELINUX] menu.c32/vesamenu.c32 and MS Virtual PC 2007 --> Hang/crash

Murali (முரளி கணபதி) murali at google.com
Fri May 16 01:33:24 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:09 PM,  <oetelaar24 at zonnet.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently did some extensive testing with PXELinux and I must say
> it's great!
>
> I've tested it with several pc's and VMware vm's at home, this works
> flawlessly.
>
> However at my work, we only use MS Virtual PC 2007 and so on.
>
> I've started today to testimplement pxelinux into wds/ris, this seems
> to work but when I want to display a menu eg: default menu.c32, then
> the vm hangs..
> The vesamenu.c32 does the same, although it does switch the resolution.
>
> I found another post by someone earlier on the archive, but no real
> solution other than "use VMware" was stated, unfortunately, that is no
> option for me.
> Post listed here: http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2007-March/008246.html
>
> FYI: I made a small mistake and copied simple.c32 from the latest
> tar.gz/menu and used that to try and display the menu.
> However it did not display MY menu because this is probably not used
> for it, it did display A menu, works like a charm! Maybe this gives
> some lead?

menu.c32/vesamenu.c32 use a different code base from
simple.c32/complex.c32. You can create your own "simple.c32" by
creating a .menu file like the others in tar.gz/menu. However, you
need to recompile your .c32 everytime you make a change to the menu.
simple.c32 and complex.c32 use exactly the same code base. Just that
complex.c32 excercises more portions of the code than simple.c32. IIRC
complex.c32 switches text modes while simple.c32 doesn't.

> O yeah, complex.c32 hangs/crashes to...
>
> Is this fixable? I've tried altering some settings in the BIOS of the
> MS Virtual PC vm (there are very few) but to no avail.
>
> Please help.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Bart van den Oetelaar
>

> ----- Einde doorgestuurd bericht -----

Murali

கற்றது கை மண் அளவு, கல்லாதது உலகளவு
(What we know is only a handful, what we dont is the rest of the world)